Tuesday, October 30, 2012

DIY

Ive been doing a lot of DIY lately. No, I used to do it always. I used to improvise, do the Indian "Jugaad", do the recyle thing, do the I-need-this-done-my-way....I could DIY on anything. Only I wasn't aware of the DIY. I would gleefully allow my imagination to take over.

That was way back in college. Or pre college. Find my way home no matter what. Write a whole book and gift it to someone. Make drinking glasses and irrigation drips and pen stands from old water bottles.

Then pretty much over night, I started DIY in a self sufficient way. I would fix my own internet cables and re route pathways. I would drill holes and hammer nails to hang things and fix things. I designed my own furniture ( some measly bits...but well). I cut ugly table mats into coasters. I cut up old denims and made my laundry sack.

Now I just spent the last weekend making a bookshelf. I got old pieces of wood. very tired looking, but I loved the wood. I arranged the odd pieces in a way, that gave the bookshelf an amayzing shape. Got some old, cheaper wood for the backing. Put together the shelves using brackets, shaved supports, a skirting instead of legs. Sandpapered, oiled, stained, polished, varnished and finally sprayed to give that rich brown deep colour, with the lines of the wood giving the bookshelf more contours and a look, but with a non oily-slicky look...just a slight matte.
Made my reading chair.... with a broken salvaged thing. I just put in support bars, strengthen the legs with extra joints, put extended slats for the seat...and Voila! I had my chair!! And then the staining, varnishing, polishing.....

I want to frame pictures this weekend. DIY is fun. a good way of spending a whole day in the sun, but not lazing. Then next weekend, I shall remodel a bicycle, and modify it. :)

I like DIY. Even if it sounds very girly!

No comments: