Sunday, January 6, 2013

On Being Happy.


The past few years have been not too great, for many reasons, and for reasons which kept fading and appearing in different forms. I was trying so hard to be at peace, to be OK, and to find happiness in being, instead of finding momentary bliss in escapism.

Nairobi, Kenya.... was something that happened to me like all the other good things happened that ever happened to me. Disorganized, a shade impulsive, not very thought out, and with no plan in my mind at all. I know now, that I am never moving like this ever again, but the whole process was a great experience to learn from.
Example: I now know that Im no longer the college kid who could move with a duffel and carton and yet leave nothing behind.

Here in Kenya, so many things in my life are not in place yet. My papers, my furniture, my finances...etc etc. What makes it worse is getting the OF over and in, too! or maybe not. However,

a) OF is happy here,too. I had never thought how much unhappy and sad he was. His life,in terms of money, friends and gadgets and travel always looked to content and full to me. I never realized that he was an old fool, and was going through such unhappiness. I also never gave a thought to the fact, that he would have apprehensions and fears and whatnots about working and living in a country that wasnt his, with people whom he isnt used to. We talked, shared....figured out and solved nothing, but we talked. OF is a silly boy! And I am so glad we got to discover and confess to each other how silly we are! (Amidst MANY MANY fights and tantrums)

b) Friends : After school, and college/hostel...I never really made any good friends! I just couldnt share, accept and participate in what the folks around me was doing! And I found it much much easier to be by myslef, read, cycle, travel and read more...all by myself! (No really, all that the folks did in India was to drink, celebrate their sad attempts at cooking fancy food, talk pretentiously of visa tickets, or Rumi, or some such shit! And then investment, which car-you-bought, where-i-just-bought-some-more-land/flat-again!!).

I actually enjoy meeting new people here in Nairobi. The work they do, they places they come from, the stories they have to tell. We dont exchange recipes and organize barbecue dinners. Instead, we go hiking, trekking...we walk and swim...  we improvise, we paint furniture for each other, we try mixing drinks, i take them vegetable shopping, they take me to see beads and jewellery making..... I am doing things I have never done before! I was asked to babysit,too! I like having a friend down the street. I enjoy being asked once in while..."whatsup girl, hope everything is calm at your end!" . It is simple! I like that there is a guy in my block who says," In case you dont habve anything in the fridge,im trying to cook today!" I like the girl who mails in to say, "I've just discovered some more Kenya on the other side of the road, you HAVE to come!"
 And I absolutely LOVE having Heather and Sarah in my life! I would have given up so long ago, if Heather wasnt there!

c)Books: I think I need to write a whole separate blog post on this.... but I HAVE to write about this!

d) Fresh Air and Trees and Pavements : Seriously, these are essential elements in a city.

e) News: It was getting to me in India. The content ( more murder, rape, robbery, scam, Indian politicians..and Cricket!!) The Journalism... BAD!! Going worse!!! News and journalism here in kenya is so much better, more evolved and oooh... I like it. it makes me think, research, ask questions..and I learn much more. I like news!!


I think I am just saying , that I am happy! :P

1 comment:

Miss RBit said...

I'm happy you're happy and as always, beautifully written. :)