Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunday Afternoon.

So much salivation for a Sunday afternoon.

Sunday afternoon comes after a morning-ful of Sunday chores and errands and other little chaos. Sunday afternoon is post that fatty-fulfilling Sunday lunch. Sumday afternoon one sleeps that long satisfying snooze. Or reads in the sun, in the balcony. Or I shall read that book i have been salivating about. Or one will knit. No wait, watch a movie at home! Sleep. :)

This Sunday afternoon, I had my quick lunch, and Heather and I walked to a concert. Heather and I can walk. We both like walking. And we think nothing of walking distances that would astonish normal people for a bunch of very valid, normal reasons. We took the little baby, strapped it, and walked, with a huge yellow and white umbrella.
We don't always have to talk, or we talk of super mundane, or super strange things. And we are Ok with that. We walk into lanes and by lanes, and we are Ok with that,too.

Concerts, are usually my evening thing. I like getting ready, choosing just that one scarf, or shawl,or ear rings...with my usual kurta-denim-sneakers. I like feeling the rush of energy and excitement, as I am nearing the hall in the Subway.  I like walking to the metro station after, still breathing and replaying the bits of the concert in my head as I walk in the darkness of the 8pm traffic. I love sitting with good aged people, who enjoy a bit of music, no matter who is playing. I love concerts:western classical, jazz, and eastern classical(even though i understand jack of this last one). I love the form, the discipline, the whole tremor at every note, the chords that are amplified through the auditorium...the acoustics of a little trill. I love the shine of an instrument on the stage, I love the movement of an open air concert, I love the amphitheater, I love everything about a concert!!

But I have never , casually, after lunch, walked to a concert. I want to live in a village, I had thought....if this is can be so casual. There was sans the hassle of taking out the car etc, minus the whole "planning" pressure..when, how, with who....etc. We just walked down our street, and then a whole hour, and walked into an auditorium!

And what elegance and beauty! This orchestra was no local gang! violins, violas, french horn and flute, oboe and clarinets, a piano and a cello. a bassoon and whatnot!!... and the whole hierarchy of a leader, a conductor, a solo player etc. The pieces were ones I had never heard played live. The conductor was lively, and so flamboyant!! The audience was a well educated and very well mannered crowd. There were children, old folks, young folks, white folks,brown folks and black folks (don't bother correcting me, I know you know what I mean). We knew when to clap, not at the end of a movement. No one ate, drank or talked. There were no cell fones and beepies. There were little sighs, little head sways...and after a while...a little snore from somewhere...:):P/.   It was so good, to be in that crowd.

I loved this afternoon. I did everything, I normally do....just that this was easy, casual and had no fuss. And I was,not to forget, tremendously impressed with this Orchestra!

No comments: